Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Love That Dog by Sharon Creech


Book Jacket

Jack
Room 105--Miss Stretchberry

September 13

I don't want to
because boys
don't write poetry.

Girls do.

September 21

I tried.  Can't do it.
Brain's empty.

This is the story of Jack
who finds his voice
with the help of
paper
pencil
teacher
and
dog.

Review

A book written in poetry focusing on the death of a beloved dog (not much of a spoiler--that the dog died is super obvious from the beginning)?  I HATE IT.  I mean.  It's original, and it's cool how this kid grows in confidence and learns that poetry is for everybody.

But I hate books where animals die.  They are so sweet and innocent, and why would the focus of any book be about their death!?  I much prefer to stay in my naive wonderland where animals never die. 

So yes, this book is very well done.  I think people who are less of animal lovers (or less tender-hearted) than me would like it very much.

However, this is the exact opposite of the kind of book I like.  So.  Lower points.

Three out of five yellow pieces of paper.

Release Date: March 2003
Reading Level: Grade 4+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: BLUESTEM

No comments:

Post a Comment