Thursday, February 16, 2012

Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer


Book Jacket

Vladimir Tod: Normal eighth-grade student?  Or powerful vampire?

Junior high really stinks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod.  Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend.  Oh, and Vlad has a secret: His mother was human, but his father was a vampire.  With no idea of the extent of his powers and no one to teach him, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs.  When a stranged substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown.  But then he realizes he has a much bigger problem: He's being hunted by a vampire killer who is closing in...fast!

Review

The middle schoolers at my monthly book talks LOVE this series.  They convinced me to give it a try, and....I'm not blown away?  To be fair, this first book is mostly set up.  By the end, Vladimir is aware of a lot of things, and his new knowledge will probably mean for some more exciting sequels.  Not sure if I'll read them, but I assume they are better.

It might also be a case of vampire-overload.  I have pretty much killed myself on supernatural romances (except for Vampire Diaries, I love it).  I can appreciate that Vlad is a new take--half-human, half-vampire, successfully living a normal life with a friend who knows his secret.

My main problem was the plot.  Which is not a good main problem to have.  I was never very worried, and the twists were evident from miles away.  All in all, not super awesome.  If anyone has read the rest of the series, let me know if it's worth reading on!

Two out of five blood capsule sandwiches.

Release Date: August 2007
Reading Level: Ages 5+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: YPL BRE

No comments:

Post a Comment