Tuesday, February 28, 2012

39 Clues: The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis


Book Jacket

There's only one rule in the race to find the 39 Clues hidden around the world: TRUST NO ONE.  But when the hunt leades fourteen-year-old Amy Cahill and her younger brother, Dan, to Japan, their only chance to find the third Clue seems to lie with their unreliable uncle, Alistair Oh.  Will they be foolish enough to make an alliance?  With a Clue on the line, Amy and Dan might not have a choice.  But in the Cahill family, trusting your relatives can get you killed...

Review

I was so excited for this one because: Japan!  But that ended up not being as thrilling as I anticipated.  Which makes sense, when the thing I love most about Japan is its beauty.  That is probably not going to be the highlight of an action/adventure story.  However, I still loved this book because:  romance!

And the best kind, with shady motivations, betrayals, snobby boys, and sassy stuttering girls.  I am of course talking about Amy and Ian!  This is a long haul relationship, and I am 100% on board.  Any couple that is willing to kill the other is one I want to read about.  Possibly my romantic standards are a bit skewed.

Actually, all the best stuff in this book was relationship related.  Alistair remains one of my favorite characters.  The Holts redeemed themselves very slightly, but I still hope they don't last very long.  And the Cobras seemed pretty awesome until they revealed their true colors.  Again.  This book was all about temporary alliances, and I approve.  It was all very fun, and the ending was quite shocking. 

I'm definitely in this series til the end.

Four out of five alchemy symbols.

Release Date:  March 2009
Reading Level: Grade 4+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: J39C B.3

No comments:

Post a Comment