Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bluestem Award Nominees: COMPLETED

My goal to read all the Illinois Award Nominated books is now 1/2 over!  With....barely any time left.  I very much doubt I will get all the Caudill and Lincoln books read.  But I will try!

The Bluestem category is fairly odd.  3rd-5th graders can be wildly immature or surprisingly deep.  The books nominated for the Bluestem award are similarly all over the place.  I tended to favor the more mature books, although some of the younger-slanted books impressed me as well.

These are the books that I gave a five out of five rating:

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra Deedy
Adventures in Cartooning by James Sturm
All Stations!  Distress!  April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank by Don Brown
Extra Credit by Andrew Clements
Rules by Cynthia Lord
Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook by Eleanor Davis
Swindle by Gordon Korman

These were all really great books, but I will be giving my vote to Rules by Cynthia Lord for telling an honest story about the uncomfortable truths of navigating friendships and families.

No comments:

Post a Comment