Monday, June 20, 2011

Ouran High School Host Club Vol. 13 by Bisco Hatori


Book Jacket

In this screwball romantic comedy, Haruhi, a poor girl at a rich kids' school, is forced to repay an $80,000 debt by working for the school's swankiest, all-male club--as a boy!  There she discovers just how wealthy the six members are and how different the rich are from everybody else...

Mei, wanting Haruhi to face up to her feelings, leaves out a magazine that has a checklist for determining whether a girl is in love.  As Haruhi reads through the checklist, she realizes that one host may have captured her heart without her even knowing...

Review

Okay, so I know I harshed on Ouran High School Host Club in my last review, and I do still take issue with many things.  But it seems like Hatori listened to me (you know, retroactively, despite the fact that these are already published) because at least the characters are admitting their feelings!

Haruhi knows she loves Tamaki.  Hikaru freaking admitted to Haruhi that he likes her!  And he asked her to be his girlfriend!  But we won't find out her response until the next volume!  I'm so nervous for him, you guys.  I don't see how this can end well, but I have to know.

And Tamaki?  Is oblivious again?  I thought we had him realizing his feelings ages ago.  Although I do like how the rest of the club has figured out that the Host Club=family in Tamaki's mind.  So I guess his creepy father thing was warrented?  A little.  Ugh, I just still....don't like him.

Another thing that won me over is that Ouran does awesome field trips.  I like the story much better when the characters are out of their everyday lives and going somewhere new, like this volume's ski trip. 

Alright, Ouran.  I'm giving you a pass this time.  Please don't disappoint me!

Four out of five broken ankles.

Release Date:  November 2009
Reading Level:  Grade 6+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  Not yet owned by Dunlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment