Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 9 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

Finally--summer has arrived!  While Tohru struggles through the bipolar days of hope and anxiety, what will happen when Yuki comes face-to-face with the new member of the student council?  Meanwhile, who is that Uo-chan's hanging out with?  Is she c-r-a-z-y in love?  In a bonus feature, Hana-chan's past is finally disclosed!  Come join the party in the 9th volume of the super-popular Fruits Basket, the world's most popular shojo manga!

Review

I normally don't like it when stories stray from their main characters to develop the supporting cast.  I watch for the stars, darnit!  But....I kind of loved this volume, even though nearly half of it was devoted to Uo and Hana.  How could I not be okay with an awkward love story that ends in a SURPRISE (okay, that happens twice this volume...so much of the good!), and also a backstory that explains Hana's strange behavior in such a heartbreaking way.  Seriously.  Her past?  So sad.  This whole created world is populated by broken characters trying to find love in their friends and self-made families.  And that is how I like it!
It bears noting that Kyo and Tohru remain adorable.  I was reading this before falling asleep last night, and there was a part that made me curl into myself and audibly squee.  And it was such a little thing!  That is what Takaya does so well--she knows that romance is not built on epic proclamations of love or over-the-top displays of affection.  It's in the little stupid things that make your heart race and your imagination soar.

Excellent all around, especially since on paper, I would have said I might not have liked the plots.  I don't usually like to be proved wrong, but this time I do!

Five out of five black lace gloves.

Release Date:  June 2005
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment