Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 10 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

The world's number one shojo manga continues, as Tohru and the Sohmas spend time at the Sohma's summerhouse.  Alas, it's not all fun in the sun on this little trip.  Akito pays a surprise visit, causing a commotion for the rest of the family.  Shigure takes a stroll down memory lane with an old friend, remembering the days when Hatori wasn't so aloof.  Meanwhile, Tohru begins to wonder: What must life be like for the loved ones of a cursed member of the Sohma family?  Can life with this family truly be happy while bearing such a burden?

Review

The Sohma family only gets funnier, more ridiculous, and more dramatic when they are taken out of their home and sent to the beach.  Momiji and Tohru's boundless enthusiasm is kind of fantastic--if I could choose any of them to be my friend in real life, they would be at the top of the list.  If they can make hunting for beetles into an awesome adventure, well.  That's what I want in my life.

The side story about Mayu was interesting.  I'm not in love with her character yet, but I'm definitely willing to read more about her connections with Shigure and Hatori.  It could be really great, I think.

Oh my gosh, and the news that Hiro's mom is pregnant, and everyone's reaction to the news (to bust up watermelons!?  That's so disturbing hahaha) was hilarious.  I want these people to be real!

And of course, that ending.  I get so caught up in Kyo's relationship with Tohru that I frequently ignore Yuki's storyline.  No more, apparently!  It was even kind of sweet.  I mean, I don't support it or anything, because I'm a fierce Kyo/Tohru shipper, but I have to give props to Yuki for owning up to and admitting his feelings.  What will happen next!?

Four out of five watermelon punches.

Release Date:  July 2005
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment