Friday, June 10, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 12 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

The world's most popular shojo manga continues...With the beginning of the school year approaching, the gang returns from summer break--and what a vacation indeed!  A new student council has been assembled, with two new secretaries: Naohito, who has declared himself Yuki's rival, and Kimi, who is known as a devil woman--and a thief of men's hearts.  Later, when Tohru goes to see her grandfather, he brings up a part of Tohru's past that she had tried to shut away.  And with parent-teacher conferences on the horizon, Mayuko gives Shigure some good advice.

Review

I am loving this series more than ever, now that Tohru has switched from wanting to discover each Zodiac member's identity to trying to break the curse.  Increased agency and a more streamlined plot FTW!

I could do without the student council storyline.  I like the idea of it--of Yuki having his own set of friends and gained self-confidence as a result.  But it goes on a bit too long for my tastes.  Introducing a whole new set of characters this late in the game?  Aren't there enough people to care about already?

Kagura and Kyo's date was fabulous.  I never knew I wanted an explanation for Kagura's intense love for Kyo, but I loved it when I got it.  Their story is heartbreakingly real, even if I never forced myself to love a boy because he turned into a monster and I ran away.

As for Haru and Rin...I don't get it.  Rin seems much older than the other kids, and anyway, was she not making out with Shigure that one time?  And Shigure!  What is up with him?  What is he planning?  I tend to think he's on the kids' side, but there's no denying he is mighty shady.  Can't wait to find out how he's been manipulating situations from the very beginning.

Four out of five narcoleptic vice presidents.

Release Date:  December 2005
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment