Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 15 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

Yuki's past finally is revealed!  But is it all too much to bear?  His sickness takes a turn for the worse, and after Akito reminds Yuki how loathed he is, his will to live might finally be drained...Meanwhile, as Tohru is getting ready to perform in Cinderella, the class decides that they have to rewrite the play.  But no amount of revision will prevent Tohru from improvising her loving feelings for a certain someone.  Just who is the mystery man?  A little bird tells us that the answer is right inside this next volume of the super-popular Fruits Basket, the world's #1 shojo manga!

Review

This keeps getting better and better! 

I love when I know a book so well that I can anticipate events before they happen.  I thought Takaya was missing the ball by having the mysterious baseball hat in Tohru's past belong to Yuki.  I know Yuki, and I cannot imagine him ever wearing a baseball hat, but whatever, that's what the story said.  And then we get the full reveal in this volume!  Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru were bound together, even in childhood.  (And how awesome that Yuki put it on and said, "It doesn't suit me."  Like I said, Yuki-kun.)

Every bit of Yuki's past that is unveiled makes me love him more and more.  He and Kyo are opposite sides of the same coin, and the fact that they were almost forced into hating each other through myths and miscommunication breaks my heart.  I can't wait to see them eventually become friends.  That happens, right?  It has to happen.

And the Cinderella play?  GENIUS.  Every part was perfectly cast in the most awkward way imaginable.  Hana-jima as Cinderalla was inspired.  The pent-up emotions bursting out of our characters in contradiction with the play was great.  I love when drama reveals a character's hidden secrets (which is why "Once More With Feeling" is my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode).

The romances are picking up, and I couldn't be happier.  I hope Uo gets in touch with Kureno.  I hope Machi and Yuki have an in-depth conversation and realize how perfect they are for each other.  And above all, I can't wait to see Kyo and Tohru finally, verbally express how much they like each other.  Because they are SUPER CRAZY ADORABLE.  The scene where he's playing keepaway with the script from her, and Yuki walks in, and Kyo's all embarrassed for being caught?  LOVE.

Five out of five extravagant costumes.

Release Date:  December 2006
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment