Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Storm Runners by Roland Smith


Book Jacket

Chase Masters and his father are storm runners racing across the country in pursuit of hurricans, tornadoes, and floods.  Anywhere bad weather strikes, they are not far behind.  Chase is learning more on the road than he ever would just sitting in a classroom.  But when the hurricane of the century hits, he will be tested in ways he never could have imagined.

Review

I was lent this book by a teacher friend, and after reading it, I want to both hug and slap her.  Hug because obviously, it was really good.  But I also want to slap her because, despite her warning, the cliffhanger was super annoying!  Why make a 150 page book into a trilogy?  Just make it longer!  I will not mind!

My annoyance is only proof that Storm Runners is really good.  The effects of lightning striking people (other than death, which is less interesting and more sad) is truly fascinating, and I liked seeing Chase's father's new quirks.  Similarly, people who run into storms instead of out of them are also fascinating.  They are crazy and probably a little suicidal, but they are not short on the interesting.

But this book doesn't just deal with weather catastrophes.  There are circus animals (pregnant elephants!  pet monkeys!  potentially dangerous leopards!) and family strains and a couple subtle potential romances.  People rise to the occasion as heroes and collapse in fear and grief. 

The story ends in the eye of the storm, and I cannot wait to see what happens when the second half crashes into Chase, his new friends, and his father.  Will they be reunited?  Will everyone survive?  Will the leopard eat them all, or will an alligator get in on the action too?  Inquiring minds are desperate to know!

Four out of five bus crashes.

Release Date:  March 2011
Reading Level:  Grade 3+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  YPL SMI

Don't believe me?  Check out these reviews of Storm Runners:

Readingjunky
Random Chalk Talk

4 comments:

  1. What the name of the leopard? I've been trying to find out but I don't have a copy of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't remember, and our copy is checked out.

    Are you trying to win that hardback copy of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need some follow-up comprehension work to go along with this book. Where should I look?

    ReplyDelete