Thursday, April 7, 2011

Skype with Author Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich

After reviewing 8th Grade Superzero, I got in touch with author Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich.  Her emails were always incredibly friendly, and she offered to skype with a book group if I wanted.  Of course I wanted to!  Together with my friend Jenna, who is a 5th grade teacher at Wilder Waite, we discussed the novel yesterday.  Four kids met at the library today to skype with Olugbemisola.  She was just as friendly in person as in her writing.


We had a list of questions prepared, and each of us took turns asking.  I was most interested to learn how 8th Grade Superzero was written.  She wrote three pages for an application, then left it alone for years.  She picked it back up and added two chapters, then once again left it alone for years.  Finally she finished the book in a whirlwind week.  I can't imagine!  That is dedication.
I had a blast talking to an author, and Olugbemisola herself was wonderfully enlightening and delightful.  If she lived closer to Dunlap, I would definitely want to be her friend.

1 comment: