Saturday, May 28, 2011

Ouran High School Host Club Vol. 10 by Bisco Hatori

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 10

Book Jacket

In this screwball romantic comedy, Haruhi, a poor girl at a rich kids' school, is forced to repay an $80,000 debt by working for the school's swankiest, all-male club--as a boy!  There she discovers jus how wealthy the six members are and how different the rich are from everybody else...

Ever since the day he helped her up from a nasty tumble, Black Magic Club member Reiko Kanazuki has been obsessed with Hunny.  She is devoting all her knowledge of the dark arts to curse him and steal his soul.  Will the sweetest member of the Host Club fall victim to her spells?

Review

Hunny and Reiko:  A girl who is so ostracized she thinks the only way she can get her crush's attention is to curse him and a boy who really loves cake.  Obviously they are a perfect match!  I wasn't going for it at first, but when Hunny aprubtly set her straight: "If you want me to like you back, let's talk more" I was completely sold.  Way to make romance super straight-forward, Hunny.

The ongoing Mei story:  I'm not sure how I feel about her.  It's nice to see a typical person--albiet one with a fake tan and a whole lot of makeup--trying to fit into the Ouran world.  Haruhi is too laidback for us to fully appreciate their ridiculousness through her.  However, she just kind of...didn't make me love her.  That is all.

The ongoing Who Will End Up With Haruhi story:  It is so going to be Tamaki, and I can't stand it.  He's an overdramatic imbecile.  And I hate love triangles, because I HATE when people get their feelings hurt.  The fact that not only Hikaru, but now also Kaoru, love Haruhi....NO.  I cannot stand for both of the twins to be hurt.  But even if one of them does end up with her, the other will be super hurt!  And they probably wouldn't do that to each other, which just leaves the playing field wide open to Tamaki, who Haruhi vaguely sort of likes?  I DON'T KNOW but I don't like it.

However, the promising sports tournament story will likely be excellent.

Three out of five goldfish.

Release Date:  January 2008
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  Not currently part of Dunlap Library's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment