Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 7 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

Tohru and company have been having a lot more fun ever since Kisa came to visit.  Now it's time for Tohru to meet another member of the Zodiac--the skillfully sarcastic grade-school student, Hiro!  One way or another, this tyke will have to deal with his resentment of Tohru and his affection for Kisa.  Where will he find the answers?  In the fabulous 7th volume of the super-popular Fruits Basket, of course!

Review

Hiro!  Even though I immediately think of Hiro from Heroes ("Yatta!!"), Hiro from Fruits Basket is, um, not at all the same.  He is completely adorable with a wicked tongue.  His endless monologues of guilting and snark are exactly my kind of funny.  And the fact that his abrasive exterior is hiding his personal guilt for hurting Kisa?  Great storytelling.

This Akito.  Is a jerk.  Every time someone admits they love another, he/she goes and makes their lives miserable!  I can only assume this is jealousy, and we will find out more later.  I mean, even though I hate him/her, I love a villain with a motivation.

Also, the obvious parallel between angry Hiro/sweet Kisa and angry Kyo/sweet Tohru warms my shippy heart.

And then we got Uo's awesome backstory!  Are yankee girl gangs a real thing in Japan??  I'm seriously curious.  Because Uo was like, in 5th grade!  That's insane and scary!  But I loved seeing how she met her hero, Tohru's mother, and slowly realized that love and affection is more powerful than aggression and loneliness. 

Five out of five Red Butterflies.

Release Date:  February 2005
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment