Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 8 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

Summer is on its way, so of course Tohru and friends are excited about the upcoming vacation and field trip.  But what's that sound?  It's Hatsuharu going berserk in the classroom...again!  Black Haru is full of more rage than usual, so what will happen when Yuki interferes?  And then there's Ritsu Sohma, whos mom Tohru met at the hot spring...but what's wrong with this kimono-wearing beauty?!

Review

Haru storyline:  At times funny, at times squee-worthy (I love how the manga plays up Kyo's feelings for Tohru waaay more than the anime ever did), at times a little bit heart-breaking.  AND a hint at the next zodiac member!  I love the insanity of Fruits Basket most, but I really do enjoy when the story takes a more serious look at what it means for the Sohma family, who have been cursed through no fault of their own.

Ritsu storyline:  YAY!  Ritsu and his mother made me laugh and laugh and laugh.  I mean, I wouldn't want them to be in every chapter, because then I'm sure I would find them obnoxious.  But their violent apologies frequently startle a burst of laughter from me.

Then we get some more precious Kyo/Tohru scenes with them worrying about the future.  And Yuki shows up to be angsty, and yeah, I do feel sorry for the poor kid.  I like seeing him bond with his older brother Ayame, who is a lot less annoying nowadays.

Haunted House storyline:  Oh my gosh, Haru telling that ridiculous story about a stabbed son trying to reunite with his headless mother, and Tohru and Momiji falling all over themselves in sympathy!  HAHAHA.  This humor, I must have it!

Four out of five last days of school.

Release Date:  April 2005
Reading Level:  Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment