Thursday, September 22, 2011

Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour by Bryan Lee O'Malley


Book Jacket

"Scott Pilgrim is the best book ever.  It is the chronicle of our time.  With Kung Fu, so, yeah: perfect."
--Joss Whedon

Review

As much as it causes me pain to disagree with Joss Whedon, I just....didn't like the end of Scott Pilgrim.  A big part of that is that I still don't quite understand the subspace/glow thing.  And although I think Scott and Ramona are a believable and often cute couple, I was secretly rooting for Scott and Kim to reunite.  And they even teased that!  Grr. 

I did like the return of Envy, and the fact that she is far more human and sympathetic than before.  Gideon was an okay final villain.  I liked the payoff of Scott's extra life. 

I really really loved that it was together that Ramona and Scott defeated Gideon.  Ramona earning the Power of Love and Scott earning the Power of Understanding was pretty brilliant.  There were some really excellent things in this final volume, but since I gave up on Scott a few books ago, I couldn't get as invested as I should have.

Three out of five jumps into subspace.

Release Date: July 2010
Reading Level: Grade 9+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment