Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins


Book Jacket

In the months since Gregor first encountered the strange Underland beneath New York City, he's sworn he won't ever go back.  But when another prophecy, this time about an ominous white rat known as teh Bane, calls for Gregor's help, the Underlanders know the only way they can get his attention is through his little sister, Boots.  Now Gregor's quest reunites him with his bat, Ares, the rebellious princess Luxa, and new allies and sends them through the dangerous and deadly Waterway in serach of the Bane.  Then Gregor must face the possibility of his greatest loss yet, and make life and death choices that will determine the future of the Underland.

Review

I like to call this book "Gregor and His Bromance with Ares," because really, that is the relationship at the heart of the book.  They slowly learn to trust and respect each other, and by the end, they are truly bonds.  And totally awesome.

This is not my favorite Gregor book, but I still love it.  Collins an awesome writer, and I think it would be impossible to dislike one of her books.  She creates absurd worlds with such detail that they make perfect sense.  Fireflies as obnoxious whiners?  Of course!  She also has a fantastic ability to mislead her readers while laying out the truth very plainly.  I just never catch it until after the twist, when I think back and go, "Ooooh, right!  Duh, how'd I miss that?"

Gregor remains a cool, sweet kid.  And actually gains some respect points, too.  Boots is cute, but not as overwhelmingly cutesy as before.  Luxa starts to be a real friend, and I kind of love Henry.  Ares rocks, and I never thought I would say this, but I really want a huge pet bat. 

Three out of four dangerous islands.

Release Date: September 2004
Reading Level: Grade 3+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: YPL COL


Don't believe me?  Check out these reviews of Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane:

Eclectic/Eccentric
Tiny Little Reading Room

No comments:

Post a Comment