Thursday, September 8, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World by Bryan Lee O'Malley


Book Jacket

How does he do it?  Scott Pilgrim has two tirls on the go.  When he's with Knives Chau, he feels like he can erase his past and start over.  When he's with Ramona Flowers, he's ready to accept all that, grow up and move on.  But like all adult relationships, Ramona comes with baggage--in her case, seven evil ex-boyfriends, showing up one by one to challenge Scott for the right to date her.  What happens when Knives and Ramona meet?  What happens when Scott's own ex-flames get thrown in?  How will Scott deal?  Which girl will he choose?  And why, oh why, can't the past stay the past?

Review

I found volume 2 a little less fantastic than the series beginner.  Mostly because I couldn't keep characters straight, and there are a lot of new faces!  I think by the end I had it sorted, but there were times I had to double back and figure out relationship connections.

I'm glad that Scott is not getting off the hook for having two girlfriends at once.  Knives is kind of awesome, if not a little crazy.  Or a lot.  But I totally understand why Scott fell head over heels for Ramona.  They are adorable together.

But the really great part of this volume is when Scott takes on Ramona's second evil ex-boyfriend, the movie star Lucas Lee.  Scott is celebrity-struck for most of the fight, and his winning, well, it's not exactly epic.  In the best sense possible!  It was hilarious, and a nice change of pace from the over-the-top fight in volume 1.

I wasn't overwhelmed with Scott's awesomeness this time around, but I have a definite sweet spot for him, so I'm off to read volume 3.

Three out of five hair dyes.

Release Date: June 2005
Reading Level: Grade 9+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: GRAPHIC OMA

No comments:

Post a Comment