Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe


Book Jacket

Beware the hare!

Is he or isn't he a vampire?

Before it's too late, Harold the dog and Chester the cat must find out the truth about the newest pet in the Monroe household--a suspicious-looking bunny with unusual habits...and fangs!

Review

So before vampires hit is big time, there were...vampire rabbits?  That's almost as bad as the sparkly kind (or as great?  take your pick).  Granted, the story as told by Harold the dog was cute.  And I loved Chester the cat, avid reader, frequent journier into the wacky imagination, and super into pop psychology (maybe I identified with him a little). 

But a book on the dangers of a bunny?  Who sucks vegetables dry?  HAHAHAHA. 

I guess I'm especially laughing because I remember being a kid and seeing this book on the shelves.  I was too scared to read it then.  And for nothing, I find out!  I think it's not supposed to be scary?  Although, really, that cover is terrifying.  Rabbits with red eyes leering over a carrot can never be good.

Three out of five white zucchinis.

Release Date:  August 1996
Reading Level: Grade 3+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  BLUESTEM

No comments:

Post a Comment