Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bone: Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith


Book Jacket

After being run out of Boneville, the three Bone cousins--Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone--are separated and lost in a vast, uncharted desert.  One by one, they find their way into a deep, forested valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures.

Eventually, the cousins are reunited at a farmstead run by tough Gran'ma Ben and her spirited granddaughter, Thorn.  But little do the Bones know there are dark forces conspiring against them, and their adventures are only just beginning!

Review

My 27-year-old brother recommended this graphic novel series to me, so I put aside my prejudice and gave them a try.  I'm so glad I did!  Jeff Smith has a wonderful sense of humor that comes out in both his words and his pictures.  The mix of realistic and absurd is acknowledged but then never dwelt upon, which I loved.  Eventually it becomes normal to see the white glob of Bone holding hands and mooning over the gorgeously drawn human Thorn.

I know many grade schoolers who adore this series, so I was surprised at how much the jokes can appeal to adults as well.  There are jabs at greedy polititians and winks at the readers for willfully suspending disbelief (I especially loved the blanket of falling snow).  Immediately after finishing the first book, I grabbed #2, #3, and #4 off the shelf.  I think that shows how much I wanted the story to continue, and now.

Four out of five mysterious maps.

Release Date: February 2005
Reading Level: Grade 4+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: GRAPHIC SMI

No comments:

Post a Comment