Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fruits Basket Vol. 23 by Natsuki Takaya


Book Jacket

THE FINAL VOLUME!  Curses have been broken and the eternal banquet has finally come to a close.  But there are still some loose ends to be wrapped up before the last page of Fruits Basket arrives!  How will the members of the Zodiac deal with their newfound freedom?  Can forgiveness come in the wake of Akito's past actions, and a new surprising revelation?

Review

And it's done!  This was a nice feel-good end to a fantastic story.  While I still don't fully understand how the curses were broken (did they just have to....want it?), it was really gratifying to see everyone free.  Not completely happy, because some people (Rin and poor baby Momiji) had less to gain from being free.  But like I said in the last review, such is life, and I'm glad there's some realism to this story about people changing into animals.

Having a flashback to Kyoko's death was kind of horrible, but I loved seeing her reconnect with her husband in some sort of beachy afterlife.

Shigure and Akito?  I dunno.  I don't fully forgive Akito for all his/her horribleness, and I think his/her transformation happened a little too fast.  But if anyone can handle him/her, it's Shigure.  I wish them well.

I'm not ususally a fan of flashforward epilogues, but I thought this one was excellent!  It was vague enough to let the reader's imagination supply most of the details, but it was heart-warming to know Tohru and Kyo lasted, had a family, and continued to hold hands.  Hahaha.  Epic love FTW.

Not everything was perfect, but I really adored this series, so of course I have to give it

Five out of five happy endings.

Release Date:  July 2009
Reading Level: Grade 7+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  Not yet a part of Dunlap's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment