Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Christian Atheist by Craig Groeschel


Book Jacket

Former self-proclaimed Christian Atheist Craig Groeschel knows his subject and his audience all too well.  After several years of successful ministry, he had to make a painful self-admission: although he believed in God, he was leading his church as if God didn't exist.

To thousands of Christians and non-Christians across every town in the United States, the journey leading up to Groeschel's admission and the journey that follows--from his family and his upbringing, to the lackluster and even diametrically opposed expressions of faith he encountered--will look and sound like the story of their own lives.

Now the founding and senior pastor of the multicampus, pace-setting LiveChurch.tv, Groeschel's personal walk toward an authentic God-honoring life is more relevant than ever.

Christians and Christian Atheists everywhere will be nodding their heads as they are challenged to take their own honest assessment and ask the question: Am I putting my whole faith in God but still living as if everything were up to me?

Groeschel's frank and raw conversation about our Christian Atheist tendencies and habits is a convicting and life-changing read.  This book is a classic in the making.

Review

Reading the title, I pridefully assumed there wouldn't be much in this book that would apply to me.  Ouch.  I was, well, really wrong.  It's easy to say you're living a life that pleases God, but chapter after chapter, Groeschel showed me ways in which I was living life my own way.

For instance, "When You Believe in God but Aren't Sure He Loves You" and "When You Believe in God but Don't Think You Can Change" and "When You Believe in God but Pursue Happiness at Any Cost."  Even now, reading those chapter titles, I think, "I'm not like that!"  Even though I just read those chapters and learned that yes, I am.

Pride runs deep.

Groeschel has written a really excellent book.  He is funny and self-deprecating.  Best of all, he has been there.  He isn't writing from some advanced condescending standpoint.  He knows what it's like to struggle with handing everything over to God.  But he's also worked at doing just that, and happily tells stories of how God has rewarded him for selflessness by deepening their relationship.

If you're a Christian and struggling with complacency, I highly recommend this book!

Five out of five lines in the sand.

Release Date: March 2010
Reading Level: Grade 9+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection: Not currently in our library's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment