Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Harry Potter Party

I wish our library could be Hogwarts all the time, even if it meant wearing an itchy beard all the time.  I can't write about the evening without using a bad pun, so we'll get it out of the way right now: From the very beginning, the night was magical.


With the lights out and everyone outside, I moved to open the door and saw the crowd of kids' faces light up at the sight of my outfit.  I let them in, waved my Elder Wand, and said, "Lumos!"  The lights turned on, and the kids grew even more excited.  By drawing a nametag with a House name on it, the kids were Sorted.  With the exception of a group of girls (who wanted to be in Gryffindor) and a group of boys (who wanted to be in Slytherin), everyone accepted their drawn House.


As Dumbledore, I got to wander from class to class (including Charms, where they made wands, and Transfiguration, where they got HP symbols face painted) talking to the kids.  Some of them told my fortune (with origami fortune tellers they made at Divination) and others threatened to fight me because of their newly received Dark Marks.  Luckily, I convinced them to join my side as double agents.


After an hour of classes, we watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  At the very end, when Voldemort breaks into Dumbledore's tomb, the row of kids in front of me turned around and said, "I bet this is hard for you to watch."


Best program ever.  I hope we can do it again, because Harry Potter will never be gone, so long as there are those who remember him.

No comments:

Post a Comment