Monday, January 3, 2011

The Fury by L. J. Smith


Book Jacket

Love can kill.

Elena: with Damon at her side, and wild with her craving for blood, the changed Elena struggles to control her desires.

Damon: his hunger for the golden girl wars with his hunger for revenge against Stefan.

Stefan: tormented after losing Elena, he will do anything to get her back.  Even if it means becoming what he once despised...

Getting what they want may come at a deadly cost.

Review

The Fury is a quick read, but ultimately, I found it pretty disappointing.  It is the third book in L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries series (my review of the first two can be found here), so don't read this if you want to avoid being spoiled!

There was a lot of potential in this book:  seemingly dead people come back to life, misdirection as to who really is the Big Bad, and Elena's nearly complete personality change after becoming a vampire.

But...the potential never actually had a great payoff.  I was most excited about the change in Elena, and figuring how and why it happened.  But the cause was never explained, and she became the same old Elena as soon as she read her diary.  I still don't see the point of her character change for the first couple chapters.

There was also a potentially interesting relationship shift between brothers Stefan and Damon.  First there was reluctant cooperation, leading toward a grudging trust.  However, once again, the idea was far more interesting than anything that happened on the page.  I wanted more!

Apparently there is still one more book in the Vampire Diaries series, but I honestly have no idea what else can happen.  I'll read it, but my hopes are low.  However, I keep hearing good things about the TV show, so I will probably check that out someday soon...

Two out of five mysterious tigers.

Release Date:  1991
Reading Level:  Grade 8+
Where In Dunlap Public Library's Collection:  Not owned by Dunlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment