Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Young Authors Grades 3-5 (November 23, 2010)

Only three months into a monthly program, and already we have a steady clientele!  Granted, it's a small group, but I think these kids more than make up for the small size with their awesome talent.  My goal for the writing clubs we offer at Dunlap Public Library is to introduce students to multiple free writing prompts, to increase their creativity and ability to create quickly, as well as to increase their comfort in sharing their creations with other students.

Today we covered three different prompts.  1)  Write multiple statements that begin with "I am...", 2) Write a poem about a color using that color crayon, and 3) Write a story that begins, "She would not give him the last piece of pie." 

I am constantly amazed at the imaginations these kids have.  I assumed the "I am..." prompt would result in statements about their ages or heights or personalities.  Not so!  Instead I was greeted with statements like "I am a bomb.  I am going to eat you.  I am an invesibele {sic} person."  Or "I am the wrath of my brother.  I am in a secret hideout in the Night Winter Forest.  I am going to stay ten all my life."  Brilliance.

These kids have great minds, and I'm so glad that I get to share in their creativity and craziness for an hour each month.  I hope more 3-5 graders join us on December 21 at 3:00 p.m.!

No comments:

Post a Comment